Thursday, December 4, 2014

Medically Fragile to Healthy plus Pizza Recipe


I'm posting from a mountain top! Or at least a nice plateau. Happily, I am more confident about the higher hills yet to climb. Still, life is good for our little boy who used to be so sick. This month of December marks one year faithfully following the protocol of our DAN doctor.

All of Izaiah's tics, drooling, and head-banging are gone. Severe eczema? It's been mild to in remission for almost a year! All seizure activity? Gone, naturally, without toxic meds. We have eye contact, a stronger body core that doesn't get fatigued, weight gain, a strong immune system, family interaction and (finally!) cooperation in therapy, attempts at verbalizing, and best of all, an adorable personality emerging. Looking back, it all seems miraculous.

But one transition stumped me as he morphed from medically fragile to healthy. He was still whining a lot. Not from being ill, but rather he was using the only communication he knew. It was understandable for a young, ill, toddler. But not for this healthy 5 year old! That would need to change.

From my point of view, I was exhausted from being caregiver and nurse for 5 years. I wanted life back to normal. Gosh, did I even remember what that was? Yes!! Yes, I did and I wanted it now!  But, I would have to be patient.

We had to transition through a time of teaching Izaiah to communicate his wants and needs without whining.

We muscled through in 12 to 16 weeks with behavior tapering off the last few weeks. It sounds hard, but actually, was a natural flow of events.

Since Izaiah's behavior bettered as health improved, behavioral therapy was the clear place to start. I could easily piggy-back some OT and speech in there too with better behavior.  If  you follow my blogs, you know I provide my own therapy. Success means having a structured format to daily record your goals and outcomes.

I'm including a printable PDF form with this blog post. You can print this and use it or custom tailor your own. I just used a spreadsheet.

And, instead of telling you stories of how I effectively changed Izaiah's behaviors, I included 3 of  my handwritten examples so you can see the simplicity of it. I want to show how easy it is to define your goals, decide how you will reach them, and record your results. (Refrigerator Door, Whining, Sucker Sticks)  The key for success is consistency, patience, consistency, and patience. And, don't forget to be consistent and patient!

 
Now, for something to eat!  
Allergen Free Pizza (makes two, 8 x 10, glass dishes)

Garbanzo Bean Crust
Ingredients
3 cups garbanzo bean flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coriander ( or pepper)
1 3/4 cups (approx) water
3 tbsp grapeseed oil ( feel free to use olive oil)
Mixture will be a thick liquid and pourable, like pancake batter. It will not be thick like bread dough.

Heat oven to 480 degrees while the batter rests. Pour another 2 TBSP grapeseed oil into each glass pan. Put into 480 degree oven for about 6 minutes to heat the oil. Carefully pull them out and evenly pour the batter between the two pans.  Bake 12 to 14 minutes.  Remove and turn oven down to 350.

Beet Pizza Sauce - of course you can just use tomato if not allergic
Peel one large beet.
Cut up and boil until soft.
Puree in Ninja or processor.
Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic, and 1 tbsp oregano and mix.
Add a bit of the water from boiling if necessary to get a consistency like tomato sauce.

Let bread cool a bit after it's done baking.
Ladle your beet sauce onto the crust.
Add desired toppings. We use cooked hamburger, onions, and bok-choy. We are unable to have cheese of any kind on our pizza, but you may be able to use a cheese sub like Daiya.

Return pizzas to 350 degree oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes. Remove, slice with pizza cutter, and enjoy!


I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling, Mom to these two awesome kids. I have provided all of their therapy myself and enjoy sharing nuggets I learn along the way. I am not a licensed therapist, I just play one at home. My blog is not a sub for a professional therapist. Oh yeah! I've also written 3 children's books about autism that also nurture parents. You can find them at ashisgift.com









No comments:

Post a Comment